Recipe of the Month
MEXICAN STEAK SOFT TACOS
Use leftover steak slices or grill your favorite cut for this version of the taco featuring a garlicky, lime sour cream.
- Total Recipe Time: 15 to 20 minutes
- Makes 4 servings
- 12 ounces grilled beef steak, cut into slices
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup drained canned black beans
- 1/2 cup chopped seeded tomatoes
- 3 cups thinly sliced romaine lettuce
- 4 medium whole wheat or flour tortillas (8 to 10-inch diameter)
INSTRUCTIONS FOR MEXICAN STEAK SOFT TACOS
- Combine sour cream, lime juice, garlic, salt and pepper in small bowl.
- Spread each tortilla evenly with sour cream mixture leaving 1/2-inch border around edge. Top with black beans; place steak slices on 1 side of each tortilla. Top with tomatoes and lettuce. Fold tortillas in half to serve.Recipe adapted from and photo as seen in The Healthy Beef Cookbook, published by John Wiley & Sons
NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION FOR MEXICAN STEAK SOFT TACOS
Nutrition information per serving, using top sirloin steak: 326 calories; 12 g fat (5 g saturated fat; 2 g monounsaturated fat); 64 mg cholesterol; 505 mg sodium; 30 g carbohydrate; 4.7 g fiber; 32 g protein; 8.5 mg niacin; 0.7 mg vitamin B6; 1.5 mcg vitamin B12; 3.3 mg iron; 30.7 mcg selenium; 5.5 mg zinc.
This recipe is an excellent source of protein, niacin, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, selenium and zinc; and a good source of fiber and iron.